Sunday, August 24, 2014

Warning... a potty training post

My Tiny Princess has been using the potty. Finally. No, she's not perfect. Yes, we have accidents. But she's, like, majorly proud of herself. And we celebrate that like crazy in this house.
Now, since I know there will be flames from some out there, here's my philosophy on potty training: it doesn't need to be a fight. True, she's 3, and I would have loved to have her trained at 2. But she just didn't care.  And to me, I would so much rather not have the experience be traumatic for both of us. Yes, you know it's traumatic for you to have to beg your child to use the potty, force then to wear big kid undies, then throw those undies that you paid good money for into the trash because they were pooped in anyway.  And I'm not a fan of washing out poopy undies.  So we waited until she was confident that she could hold it and tell me when she had to go.  That's when we broke out the big girl panties (she flat out refused to give up her pull ups when I offered panties to get before). Sure, she pooped in them once (so far), but this is her choice now to wear them, which, I think, makes her want to do good at this way more than if I had forced it.  And of course, I diligently inspect every bit of poop and pee that goes in the potty, then we high five, fist bump, hug, and sometimes even call daddy.  Oh, and her brother celebrates with her, too.
So, for us, we're way proud!  And way less stressed about it, too.

No comments: